There has been lots of spinning tires over the last few months, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will take this time to officially announce that I have updated Flathead to support V8 3.29. With this update we should all be able to rest assured that the API is more mature and exposes many of the ES6 updates that we have all been waiting for. Although the build is not yet ready for prime time, ill be sharing more info as I get closer to addressing a couple other feature requests – read Mac support.
In other news, I have decided what my next project is going to be – Derelict. Here is the pitch:
Derelict is a first person puzzle solving game that takes place in a 2140, where the world is unified and space faring. You play a character on board one such space faring vehicle when a disaster strikes and you and your crew are left to fend for yourself. Think Survival + Horror, but without the usual monsters.
I am currently in the process of building out my team, so if you are interested or want to take part in the design now would be a great time to reach out.
Back in October of 2013 I made the mistake of watching Gravity and being swept up in the immersive camera work, stunning visuals and overwhelming experience of being lost in space. This lead me, in March of this year, to purchase a Rift, with the intent of building out a game in this universe.
Surely in an industry where walking simulators are becoming a viable sales point, and Carmack is willing to jump ship for the future of gaming – there is a niche for a game about being lost in space, with depth perception.
There were a couple things I didn’t count on – namely, Nausea, nausea and more nausea – but I’ll come back to this.
This past week has been rough. The loss of Robin Williams has hit me pretty hard and it did cause a bit of a hiccup to my productivity. I think I have found my footing again and got back to work.
The greatest thing about being a developer is the diversification of my field. There is always so much going on that I can rarely get my head wrapped around all of the amazing work being done in the field.
Likewise, I have been quite busy.
When we first started working on this, neither Ken nor I knew that things would get this popular. We are incredibly happy to have so much positive interest in the game, let alone the criticism and support that has been shared. With the praise aside, we bring you Exodus 1.0.3 – Enjoy.
This release includes a number of general tweaks.
Difficulties are now working, appropriately. The values for each are not exactly well tweaked, but its a great leap forward and I hope that further input will give us the input we need to help hone the game into something useful. Be careful on the smaller planets. Your orbit is about 100x more important when you get in closer – hint! hint!
The UI and Visual tweaks that so many of you were happy to see are included in this release. I am still working with our UI/UX engineer to get his mockups into place, so expect a rather significant update in a future release.
Localization support has been implemented. I will be compiling a list of the phrases that we use throughout the game, and given that google is an acceptable tool for some of you – I will be calling on you to help our team localize the game. As it stands the game defaults to english and the mechanics for localization are yet to be integrated – but in due time every language from Aari to Zuni.
Grab the latest release, take a dive into the chaos that is Exodus and let us know what your thoughts are!
1.0.3 Download | Steam | Desura | Forums
When building out the SDK I am maintaining, I have tripped over a number of completely fucked components of such nature that need to be ripped out, stuffed into a burlap sack, burned and then tossed off of a bridge into a torrential river – never to be seen again. Unfortunately we are not in a position to be able to conduct such an event without having some characteristically beautiful explosions, probably in someones pocketbook. We are hoping to address them in a rewrite – but that has not quite been scheduled. The truth is, planning such an undertaking is almost as overwhelming as the act of writing all of the test cases to cover the edge cases and make sure that some semblance of regression testing. Hopefully backwards compatibility wont be an issue… but we will see.
As some of you likely guessed, the V8 integration walkthrough was not a one off. I have been growing a pretty healthy appreciation for the JS language and so I put it to the test and started linking it into UE4. This past weekend I sorted out the details of defining objects and linking static methods in that reference those objects, which was far from well documented.
Either way, it is working and committed.
BetterTech development has continued, and I have unearthed a number of very interesting things have come of them. Hopefully I will be able to start talking more openly about the state of things soon.
Changes for Alpha 2
- Agents need to check in on a regular basis when they don’t have any jobs.
- Link in V8 with standard placeholder functions
- Agents need visible meshes
- Menu – Pause
- Menu – Settings
- Menu – Intro