Jump Mod v 2.0

I made some significant changes to the Jump Mutator.

Most imporant is the on the fly updating of the settings. All you have to do is type in one of the strings into your console and things will be set in motion. This is a destructive process, however. If you choose to use these mutate commands to change your mutator you are going to overwrite your configuration settings.

  • Mutate JumpMod SetMaxJumps n
  • Mutate JumpMod SetJumpBoost n

These are typed into your command console (F10 to get to it typically).

n is an integer

The SetJumpBoost value is scaled just as the one on the configuration dialog is (1-10) and extraneous values are replaced with the default value of 4.

These entries are both case insensitive. More Info

Replication of variables in UScript – Take 2

True to form, I kicked some major ass last night on the afore mentioned replication issue. I am going to take a moment to explain how it works now in order of events. At the end of this post you will see an (few) idea(s) I have for what I want to add to my mutators. My code is, as always, available on my svn.

Continue reading “Replication of variables in UScript – Take 2”

Replication of Variables in UScript – Take 1

There is a problem with my replicated mutators. They rely on the Tick function to force things to be replicated properly. The issue being that the tick function is called in between every frame being rendered to the screen and as such may impact game responsiveness or create lag under some conditions. I chose this method because of one simple reason – it worked. Replication is one of those issues where if you don’t get it working just right things don’t work. The straw that broke the camels back is often something that is misunderstood or possibly just something a developer is ignorant to. Getting replication working in the first place is often the accomplishment of many of us.

That said, it has become a goal of mine to better understand replication and I will not be working on anything else until I get my mind around how to network this shit.

Continue reading “Replication of Variables in UScript – Take 1”

UT3 Packaging – 94% Complete

Last night was another fabulously productive evening. I spent the better part of the evening implementing the process that I have grown to hate of grabbing all of my mutators’ information and loading it into an application so it could quickly package the release and let me have a simple process again. So far it is really limited, as I have some pretty strict standards and practices that I follow when naming files, but it works – That being the most important thing. Assuming you choose to follow my standards as well you will find it works for you just as well.

So far the requirements are the .net runtime (I am assuming this to be 2.0 but I don’t know. I’m not using any of the nifty tools or anything.) & 7-Zip, and it is quite simple as it had to complement my development process by making things easier, rather than complicating things. Continue reading “UT3 Packaging – 94% Complete”

Changes are in the wind…

school has begun, and this winter quarter I am expanding my math as usual, but also undertaking something I am not quite sure why I dreaded. Java is being added to my arsenal and as with the other languages I have developed I plan to release whatever applications I create. I have only been in class a couple days but I really doubt it will provide me with much of a challenge to be able to cause me the hours of frustration that I spent in the computer lab with my introductory courses.

I have also begun working on my UT3 Packaging utility…

Continue reading “Changes are in the wind…”

Mut-a-Day – 3 mutators in 3 days

The past three days I have been in a haze of UScript. I have learned more in the last weekend about Unreal tournament than I know about my own game and squirrel, and that is a great thing. I spent a good 19 hours starting Friday night and going through to 11pm this evening, pausing only for food and a Red Dwarf marathon with my dad, and have coded out three Mutators for Unreal Tournament. They are all up on the site, ready to roll, working over the internet, configurable, and most of all… they are written by me.

Also of note – my wordpress video tags extension upload has finally been approved.

They are of course all on the software releases page. Go ahead and take a look.

Developing in Unreal has its perks, and its also got its issues

The last two weeks I have been developing a couple of mutators for Unreal Tournament 3 and although my simple mutator, only about 20 lines of code mind you. It went without a hitch for the first large portion, actually coding the mutator’s effects, but I have tripped up quite badly as of late in trying to get the mutator to work over the internets. This is going to be a journey through a few of my notes on UT Development and quite possibly some thoughts on the matter of comparing HL2 with Source.

Continue reading “Developing in Unreal has its perks, and its also got its issues”