Hades Progress #4 – Threaded Terrain

Last week I posted a presentation overview of the performance gains that I found in switching over to a GPU masking implementation of rendering the terrain for Hades and I cannot say I was more satisfied with how things went.

Since then I have spent a lot of time optimizing, learning why you cannot overlap reference and value types in structs and trying to get the final pieces of the first phase of the game to come together. I have come to the conclusion that until I wean myself off of distractions I will likely be destined to spin my wheels. But there is always performance to be had.

That said, lets look slightly deeper into the terrain implementation.

Continue reading “Hades Progress #4 – Threaded Terrain”