In the broad spectrum of things I would imagine that most of you don’t notice or care, but Gneu.org has had a number of things change in the last couple months. I am currently in the process of transferring things over to the new hosting provider (MyHosting.com) where I have more control over my server and have to pay less for better performance. It was a long time in coming and only after a friend of mine (the notorious TJMonk) gave me a kick in my pants recently did I pay attention to the performance i was getting at my previous host.
I apologize ahead of time as the process requires some crafty DNS changes to be able to make it smooth.
Things will settle in shortly.
My apologies to all of you who have been trying to get around on my site, and being shown absolutely nothing on the search. I installed a plug-in called Search Unleashed and its really a piece of work. No excuses, though – the search is finally working and i cant complain about it.
Dreamhost sent me a letter complaining about my percentage use and deleted my SEO plug-in in an effort to solve that. =( It was possibly the most irritating thing to happen in all of July, so please bear with me. I have been running this craziness on my own server and seen no spike because of SEO, the primary bastard was Search Unleashed.
Indexing for search is a process that lots of applications have to handle. The catch being that you are unable to do it without slamming the server. Search Unleashed is neat, in that it provides a few options, only problem is that each time you change anything it has to re-index, and it only provides a means to do it en-masse.
- It clears the cache if you change the index type
- It clears the cache when you update the plug-in
- It clears the cache when you change an option
And it wont index periodically.
Instead of crying i will simply say that it is frustrating and cover my mouth.
|Create New Databases
|Projects Hierarchy change to projects.gneu.org
|Media Wiki Moved
|Redirection from old host names moved
|Correct Minor Issues
|Setup Backup scripts
|Configure Uptime Monitoring
Dreamhost is being exceptionally supportive. I am quickly progressing through my todo items and having a pretty good time doing it. I Have some serious respect for any host that allows me to set up a subdomain for my mysql connections =).
Very cool guys.
I am both excited and saddened by my need to move hosts, considering I just moved to GoDaddy a few months ago. This decision comes down to the fact that GoDaddy quickly fell to the absolute bottom of the list of my host recommendation list, with an emphasis put on their uptime.
I ask you all to bear with me as I move the site over, but for what its worth you can follow my progress here: http://blog.omsmod.com/
Three cheers for DreamHost! Oh, and please hold the comments or place them on the omsmod blog. This site is effectively dead.